240. Saito E, Kuo R, Kramer KR, Gohel N, Giles DA, Moore BB, Miller SD, Shea LD. “Design of Biodegradable Nanoparticles to Modulate Phenotypes of Antigen Presenting Cells for Antigen-Specific Treatment of Autoimmune Disease.” Biomaterials. 2019 (accepted)
239. Casey LM, Kakade S, Decker JT, Rose JA, Deans K, Shea LD, Pearson RM. “Cargo-less nanoparticles program innate immune cell responses to toll-like receptor activation.” Biomaterials. 2019 Oct
238. Park J, Zhang Y, Saito E, Gurczynski SJ, Moore BB, Cummings BJ, Anderson AJ, Shea LD. “Intravascular innate immune cells reprogrammed via intravenous nanoparticles to promote functional recovery after spinal cord injury.” Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2019 Jul 23
237. Youngblood RL, Sampson JP, Lebioda KR, Shea LD. “Microporous scaffolds support assembly and differentiation of pancreatic progenitors into β-cell clusters.” Acta Biomater. 2019 Jun 25
236. Peñalver Bernabé B, Thiele I, Galdones E, Siletz A, Chandrasekaran S, Woodruff TK, Broadbelt LJ, Shea LD. “Dynamic genome-scale cell-specific metabolic models reveal novel inter-cellular and intra-cellular metabolic communications during ovarian follicle development.” BMC Bioinformatics. 2019 Jun 10
235. Shah S, Daneshmandi S, Hughes KR, Yu S, Bedoya AM, Shea LD, Luo X. “Optimizing PLG nanoparticle-peptide delivery platforms for transplantation tolerance using an allogeneic skin transplant model.” Biomaterials. 2019 Jul
234. Saito E, Kuo R, Pearson RM, Gohel N, Cheung B, King NJC, Miller SD, Shea LD. “Designing drug-free biodegradable nanoparticles to modulate inflammatory monocytes and neutrophils for ameliorating inflammation.” J Control Release. 2019 Apr 28
233. Bushnell GG, Hardas TP, Hartfield RM, Zhang Y, Oakes RS, Ronquist S, Chen H, Rajapakse I, Wicha MS, Jeruss JS, Shea LD. “Biomaterial Scaffolds Recruit an Aggressive Population of Metastatic Tumor Cells In Vivo.” Cancer Res. 2019 Apr 15
232.Miller AJ, Dye BR, Ferrer-Torres D, Hill DR, Overeem AW, Shea LD, Spence JR. “Generation of lung organoids from human pluripotent stem cells in vitro.” Nat Protoc. 2019 Feb;14
231. Dumont CM, Carlson MA, Munsell MK, Ciciriello AJ, Strnadova K, Park J, Cummings BJ, Anderson AJ, Shea LD. “Aligned hydrogel tubes guide regeneration following spinal cord injury.” Acta Biomater. 2019 Mar 1
230. Skoumal M, Woodward KB, Zhao H, Wang F, Yolcu ES, Pearson RM, Hughes KR, García AJ, Shea LD, Shirwan H. “Localized immune tolerance from FasL-functionalized PLG scaffolds.” Biomaterials. 2019 Feb
229. Pearson RM, Podojil JR, Shea LD, King NJC, Miller SD, Getts DR.“Overcoming challenges in treating autoimmuntity: Development of tolerogenic immune-modifying nanoparticles.” Nanomedicine. 2019 Jun;18
228. Kasputis T, Clough D, Noto F, Rychel K, Dye B, Shea LD.“Microporous Polymer Scaffolds for the Transplantation of Embryonic Stem Cell Derived Pancreatic Progenitors to a Clinically Translatable Site for the Treatment of Type I Diabetes.” ACS Biomater Sci Eng. 2018 May 14
227. Park J, Decker JT, Smith DR, Cummings BJ, Anderson AJ, Shea LD. “Reducing inflammation through delivery of lentivirus encoding for anti-inflammatory cytokines attenuates neuropathic pain after spinal cord injury.” J Control Release. 2018 Nov 28
226. Smith DR, Margul DJ, Dumont CM, Carlson MA, Munsell MK, Johnson M, Cummings BJ, Anderson AJ, Shea LD. “Combinatorial lentiviral gene delivery of pro-oligodendrogenic factors for improving myelination of regenerating axons after spinal cord injury.” Biotechnol Bioeng. 2019 Jan
225. Dumont CM, Munsell MK, Carlson MA, Cummings BJ, Anderson AJ, Shea LD. “Spinal Progenitor-Laden Bridges Support Earlier Axon Regeneration Following Spinal Cord Injury.” Tissue Eng Part A. 2018 Nov;24
224. Decker JT, Hall MS, Peñalver-Bernabé B, Blaisdell RB, Liebman LN, Jeruss JS, Shea LD. “Design of Large-Scale Reporter Construct Arrays for Dynamic, Live Cell Systems Biology.” ACS Synth Biol. 2018 Sep 21
223. Youngblood RL, Truong NF, Segura T, Shea LD. “ It’s All in the Delivery: Designing Hydrogels for Cell and Non-viral Gene Therapies.” Mol Ther. 2018 Sep 5;26
222. Decker JT, Hall MS, Blaisdell RB, Schwark K, Jeruss JS, Shea LD. “Dynamic miRNA activity identifies therapeutic targets in trastuzumab-resistant HER2+ breast cancer.” Biotech and Bioeng. 2018 Jul 7
221. Anzalone A, Chacko JV, Nishi RA, Dumont C, Smith D, Shea LD, Digman MA, Cummings BJ, Anderson AJ. “Feasibility study on mouse live imaging after spinal cord injury and poly(lactide-co-glycolide) bridge implantation.” J Biomed Opt. 2018 Jun;23
220. Rios PD, Skoumal M, Liu J, Youngblood R, Kniazeva E, Garcia AJ, Shea LD. “Evaluation of Encapsulating and Microporous Non-degradable Hydrogel Scaffold Designs on Islet Engraftment in Rodent Models of Diabetes” Biotech and Bioeng. 2018 Jun 5
219. Rios PD, Kniazeva E, Lee HC, Xiao S, Oakes RS, Saito E, Jeruss JS, Shikanov A, Woodruff TK, Shea LD. “Retrievable Hydrogels for Ovarian Follicle Transplantation and Oocyte Collection” Biotech and Bioeng. 2018 Aug; 115(8):2075-2086
218. Park J, Decker JT, Margul DJ, Smith DR, Cummings BJ, Anderson AJ, Shea LD. “Localized immunomodulation with anti-inflammatory cytokine encoding lentivirus enhances functional regeneration after spinal cord injury” Molecular Therapy. 2018 Jul 5;26(7):1756-1770
217. Kasputis T, Clough D, Noto F, Rychel K, Dye B, Shea LD. “Microporous Polymer Scaffolds for the Transplantation of Embryonic Stem Cell Derived Pancreatic Progenitors to a Clinically Translatable Site for the Treatment of Type I Diabetes” ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering. 2018 4(5) 1770-1778
216. Aguado BA, Hartfield RM, Bushnell GG, Decker JT, Azarin SM, Nanavati D, Schipma MJ, Rao SS, Oakes RS, Zhang Y, Jeruss JS, Shea LD. “Biomaterial scaffolds as pre-metastatic niche mimics systemically alter the primary tumor and tumor microenvironment.” Adv Healthc Mater. 2018 Mar 9
215. Liu JMH, Zhang X., Joe S, Luo X, Shea L. “Evaluation of biomaterial scaffold delivery of IL-33 as a localized immunomodulatory agent to support cell transplantation in adipose tissue.” Journal of Immunology and Regenerative Medicine. 2018 Mar; 1:1-12
214. Casey LM, Pearson RM, Hughes KR, Liu JMH, Rose JA, North MG, Wang LZ, Lei M, Miller SD, Shea LD. “Conjugation of transforming growth factor beta to antigen-loaded poly(lactide-co-glycolide) nanoparticles enhances efficiency of antigen-specific tolerance” Bioconjug Chem. 2018 Mar 21;29(3):813-823
213. Tarasewicz E, Oakes RS, Aviles MO, Straehla J, Chilton KM, Decker JT, Wu J, Shea LD, Jeruss JS. “Embryonic stem cell secreted factors decrease invasiveness of triple-negative breast cancer cells through regulome modulation.” Cancer Biol Ther. 2018 Apr 3;19(4):271-281
212. Dye BR, Kasputis T, Spence JR, Shea LD. “Take a deep breath and digest the material: organoids and biomaterials of the respiratory and digestive systems.” MRS Communications. 2017 Aug 1-13
211. Rao SS, Stoehr J, Dokic D, Wan L, Decker JT, Konopka K, Thomas AL, Wu J, Kaklamani VG, Shea LD, Jeruss JS. “Synergistic effect of eribuluin and CDK inhibition for the treatment of triple negative breast cancer.” Oncotarget. 2017 Jul.
210. Pearson RM, Casey LM, Hughes KR, Wang LZ, North MG, Getts DR, Miller SD, Shea LD, “Controlled Delivery of Single or Multiple Antigens in Tolerogenic Nanoparticles Using Peptide-Polymer Bioconjugates.” Mol Ther. 2017 Jul 5;25(7):1655-1664
209. Kuo R, Saito E, Miller SD, Shea LD, “Peptide-Conjugated Nanoparticles Reduce Positive Co-stimulatory Expression and T Cell Activity to Induce Tolerance” Mol Ther. 2017 Jul 5;25(7):1676-1685
208. Weaver JD, Headen DM, Aquart J, Johnson CT, Shea LD, Shirwan H, García AJ, “Vasculogenic hydrogel enhances islet survival, engraftment, and function in leading extrahepatic sites.” Sci Adv. 2017 Jun 2;3(6):e1700184.
207. Pearson RM, Casey LM, Hughes KR, Miller SD, Shea LD, “In vivo reprogramming of immune cells: Technologies for induction of antigen-specific tolerance.” Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 2017 Apr 14
206. Wu B, Durisin EK, Decker JT, Ural EE, Shea LD, Coleman RM. “Phosphate regulates chondrogenesis in a biphasic and maturation-dependent manner.” Differentiation. 2017 May – Jun;95:54-62
205. Desai, T and LD Shea, “Advances in islet encapsulation technologies”, Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2017 May;16(5):338-350
204. Decker JT, Hobson EC, Zhang Y, Shin S, Thomas AL, Jeruss JS, Arnold KB, Shea LD, “Systems analysis of dynamic transcription factor activity identifies targets for treatment in Olaparib resistant cancer cells“, Biotechnol Bioeng. 2017 Mar 21.
203. Margul DJ, Park J, Boehler RM, Smith DR, Johnson MA, McCreedy DA, He T, Ataliwala A, Kukushliev TV, Liang J, Sohrabi A, Goodman AG, Walthers CM, Shea LD, Seidlits SK, “Reducing neuroinflammation by delivery of IL-10 encoding lentivirus from multiple-channel bridges.” Bioeng Transl Med. 2016 Jun;1(2):136-148.
202. DP McCarthy, JW-T Yap, CT Harp, WK Song, J Chen, RM Pearson, SD Miller, and LD Shea, “An antigen-encapsulating nanoparticle platform for TH1/17 immune tolerance therapy.” Nanomedicine. 2017 Jan;13(1):191-200.
201. CM Dumont, DJ Margul, and LD Shea, “Tissue Engineering Approaches to Modulate the Inflammatory Milieu following Spinal Cord Injury.”, Cells, Tissues, Organs. 2016;202(1-2):52-66.
200. Rios, PD, X Zhang, X Luo, and LD Shea, “Mold-Casted Non-Degradable, Islet Macro-encapsulating Hydrogel Devices for Restoration of Normoglycemia in Diabetic Mice”, Biotechnol Bioeng. 2016 Nov;113(11):2485-95.
199. Spicer GL, Azarin SM, Yi J, Young ST, Ellis R, Bauer GM, Shea LD, Backman V, “Detection of extracellular matrix modification in cancer models with inverse spectroscopic optical coherence tomography.” Phys Med Biol. 2016 Oct 7;61(19):6892-6904
198. Dye BR, Dedhia PH, Miller AJ, Nagy MS, White ES, Shea LD, Spence JR, “A bioengineered niche promotes in vivo engraftment and maturation of pluripotent stem cell derived human lung organoids.” Elife. 2016 Sep 28;5.
197. Rao, SS, SM Azarin, G Spicer, GG Bushnell, BA Aguado, JR Stoehr, EJ Jiang, V Backman, JS. Jeruss, LD Shea, “Enhanced Survival with Implantable Scaffolds That Capture Metastatic Breast Cancer Cells In Vivo.”, Cancer Res. 2016 Sep 15;76(18):5209-18.
196. Skoumal M, Seidlits S, Shin S, Shea L, “Localized lentivirus delivery via peptide interactions. – NCBI”. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2016 Sep;113(9):2033-40
195. Peñalver Bernabé B, Shin S, Rios PD, Broadbelt LJ, Shea LD, Seidlits SK, “Dynamic transcription factor activity networks in response to independently altered mechanical and adhesive microenvironmental cues”, Integr Biol (Camb). 2016 Aug 8;8(8):844-60.
194. X Luo, SD Miller, and LD Shea, “Immune tolerance for autoimmune disease and cell transplantation”. Ann Rev Biomed Eng. 2016 Jul 11;18:181-205.
193. Smarr, C, JWT Yap, TP Neef, RM Pearson, ZN Hunter, I Ifergan, DR Getts, PJ Bryce, LD Shea, and SD Miller, “Biodegradable Antigen-Associated PLG Nanoparticles Tolerize Th2 Mediated Allergic Airway Inflammation Pre- and Post-Sensitization”, PNAS. 2016 May 3;113(18):5059-64.
192. McCreedy, D, DJ Margul, SK Seidlits, JT Antaneb, RJ Thomasa, GM Sissmana, RM Boehler, DR Smith, SW Goldsmithb, TV Kukushliev, JB Lamano, BH Vedia, T He, and LD Shea, “Semi-Automated Counting of Axon Regeneration in PLG Spinal Cord Bridges”, J Neu Method. 2016 Apr 1;263:15-22
191. JM Liu, J Zhang, X Zhang, KA Hlavaty, CF Ricci, JN Leonard, LD Shea, RM Gower, “Transforming growth factor-beta 1 delivery from microporous scaffolds decreases inflammation post-implant and enhances function of transplanted islets.” Biomaterials. 2016 Feb;80:11-9.
190. Aguado BA, Caffe JR, Nanavati D, Rao SS, Bushnell GG, Azarin SM, Shea LD. “Extracellular matrix mediators of metastatic cell colonization characterized using scaffold mimics of the pre-metastatic niche”, Acta Biomater. 2016 Feb 1.
189. AD Dubash, CY Kam, B Aguado, D Patel, M Delmar, LD Shea, KJ Green “Plakophilin-2 loss promotes TGF-β1/p38 MAPK-dependent fibrotic gene expression in cardiomyocytes“, J Cell Biol. 2016 Feb 15;212(4):425-38
188. Hlavaty, KA, DP McCarthy, E Saito, WT Yap, SD Miller, LD Shea “Tolerance induction using nanoparticles bearing HY peptides in bone marrow transplantation” Biomaterials. 2016 Jan;76:1-10.
187. Kniazeva, E. AN Hardy, SA Boukaidi, TK Woodruff, JS Jeruss, LD Shea “Primordial Follicle Transplantation within Designer Biomaterial Grafts Produce Live Births in a Mouse Infertility Model”, Sci Reports. 2015 Dec 3;5:17709
186. Dumont CM, Park J, Shea LD. “Controlled release strategies for modulating immune responses to promote tissue regeneration.” J Control Release. 2015 Dec 10;219:155-66.
185. Xiao, S, J Zhang, KN Smith, LD Shea, TK Woodruff, “In vitro follicle growth supports human oocyte meiotic maturation”, Sci Reports. 2015 Nov 27;5:17323
184. Getts DR, Shea LD, Miller SD, King NJ. “Harnessing nanoparticles for immune modulation” Trends Immunol. 2015 Jul;36(7):419-27.
183. Aguado, BA, JJ Wu, SM Azarin, D Nanavanti, SS Rao, GG Bushnell, CB Medicherla, and LD Shea, “Secretome identification of immune cell factors mediating metastatic cell homing”, Sci Reports, 2015.
182. Thomas AM, LD Shea, “Cryotemplation for the rapid fabrication of porous, patternable photopolymerized hydrogels”, J Mater Chem B Mater Biol Med 2(28):4521-4530, 2014.
181. Thomas AM, JL Palma, LD Shea. “Sponge mediated lentivirus delivery to acute and chronic spinal cord injuries”, J Control Rel 204:1-10, 2015.
180. Pawar K, Cummings BJ, Thomas A, Shea LD, Levine A, Pfaff S, Anderson AJ. “Biomaterial bridges enable regeneration and re-entry of corticospinal tract axons into the caudal spinal cord after SCI: Association with recovery of forelimb function.“ Biomaterials. 2015 Oct;65:1-12 [PMC4523232]
179. Skory RM, Y Xu, LD Shea, and TK Woodruff “Engineering the ovarian cycle using in vitro follicle culture” Hum Reprod 30(6) 1386-95 2-15.
178. Hlavaty, KA, X Luo, LD Shea, SD Miller, “Cellular and molecular targeting for nanotherapeutics in transplantation tolerance” Clin Immunol 2015.
177. Chen, J, SB White, KR Harris, W Li, JW Yap, DH Kim, RJ Lewandowski, LD Shea, AC Larson “Poly(lactide-co-glycolide) Microspheres for MRI-Monitored delivery of sorafenib in a rabbit VX2 model”, Biomaterials 299-306, 2015.
176. S. Xiao, F.E. Duncan, L Bai, CT Nguyen, LD Shea, and TK Woodruff. “Size-specific follicle selection improves mouse oocyte reproductive outcomes”, submitted.
175. Skory RM, Mutharasan P, Peñalver Bernabé B, Lei L, Garcia OA, Legro RS, Dunaif A, Shea LD, Urbanek M, Woodruff TK “Identification of mechanosensitive genes containing SNPs associated with PCOS using an in vitro-informed candidate approach”, submitted.
174. Azarin, SM, J. Yi, RM Gower, BA Aguado, ME Sullivan, AG Goodman, EJ Jiang, SS Rao, Y Ren, SL Tucker, V Backman, JS Jeruss, and LD Shea “In vivo capture and label-free detection of early metastatic cells”, Nat Comm 6:8094, 2015.
173. Gower, RM, K Hlavaty, J. Zhang, X Luo, LD Shea, “Localized TGF-ß1 release decreases immune cell infiltration, facilitates islet engraftment, and delays allogeneic graft rejection”, Biomaterials, in press.
172. Wood CD, Vijayvergia M, Miller FH, Carroll T, Fasanati C, Shea LD, Catherine Brinson L, Woodruff TK. “Multi-modal magnetic resonance elastography for noninvasive assessment of ovarian tissue rigidity in vivo.” Acta Biomater. 2015 Feb;13:295-300. doi: 10.1016/j.actbio.2014.11.022. Epub 2014 Nov 20. PubMed PMID: 25463483; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4295766.
171. Weiss, MS, BP Bernabe, S Shin, S Asztalos, SJ Dubbury, MD Mui, AD Bellis, D Bluver, DA Tonetti, J Saez-Rodriguez, LJ Broadbelt, JS Jeruss, and LD Shea “Dynamic transcription factor activity quantification for revealing the mechanisms of ErbB2 activity and targeted therapeutics in 3D cancer models”, 6(12):1170-82. 2014 doi: 10.1039/c4ib00086b. [PMC4237672]
170. Tarasewicz E, Rivas L, Hamdan R, Dokic D, Parimi V, Bernabe BP, Thomas A, Shea LD, Jeruss JS. “Inhibition of CDK-mediated phosphorylation of Smad3 results in decreased oncogenesis in triple negative breast cancer cells.” Cell Cycle. 2014;13(20):3191-201.
169. J Bryant, KA Hlavaty, X Zhang, WT Yap, L Zhang, LD Shea, X Luo “Nanoparticle delivery of donor antigens for transplant tolerance in allogeneic islet transplantation”, Biomaterials, 35(31):8887-9, 2014 [PMCID in process].
168. Xu J, Xu M, Bernuci MP, Fisher TE, Shea LD, Woodruff TK, Zelinski MB, Stouffer RL, “Primate follicular development and oocyte maturation in vitro”, Adv Exp Med Biol 761:43067, 2013.
167. Tagler D, Makanji Y, Tu T, Bernabé BP, Lee R, Zhu J, Kniazeva E, Hornick JE, Woodruff TK, LD Shea. “Promoting extracellular matrix remodeling via ascorbic acid enhances the survival of primary ovarian follicles encapsulated in alginate hydrogels”, Biotech Bioeng 111(7) 1417-29, 2014.
166. Laronda MM, Duncan FE, Hornick JE, Xu M, Pahnke JE, Whelan KA, Shea LD, Woodruff TK. “Alginate encapsulation supports the growth and differentiation of human primordial follicles within ovarian cortical tissue.” J Assist Reprod Genet 31(8) 1013-28, 2014.
165. Shea, LD, TK Woodruff, A Shikanov, “Bioengineering the ovarian follicle microenvironment” Annu Rev Biomed Eng 16:29-52, 2014.
164. Thomas, AM, AJ Gomez, JL Palma, WT Yap, LD Shea, “Heparin-chitosan nanoparticle functionalization of porous poly(ethylene glycol) hydrogels for localized lentivirus delivery of angiogenic factors.” Biomaterials 35(30) 8687-93, 2014.
163. AM Thomas, LD Shea, “Cryotemplation for the Rapid Fabrication of Porous, Patternable Photopolymerized Hydrogels”, J. Mater. Chem. B, 2 (28), 4521 – 4530, 2014.
162. WT Yap, WK Song, N Chauhan, PN Scalise, R Agrawal, and LD Shea, “Quantification of particle-conjugated or -encapsulated peptides on interfering reagent backgrounds”, BioTechniques, 2014 July 1. PMID:25005692.
161. R. Smith, A. Shikanov, E. Kniazeva, D. Ramadurai, T.K. Woodruff, and L.D. Shea, “Fibrin mediated delivery of an ovarian follicle pool in a mouse model of infertility”, Tissue Engineering Part A, 2014 Jun 12. PMID:24802617.
160. DP McCarthy, ZN Hunter, B Chackerian, LD Shea, and SD Miller, “Targeted Immunomodulation Using Protein Coated Nanoparticles”, Wiley Interdiscip Rev Nanomed Nanobiotechnol, 2014
159. MT Duncan, S Shin, JJ Wu, Z Mays, S Weng, N Bagheri, WM Miller, and LD Shea, “Dynamic transcription factor activity profiles reveal key regulatory interactions during megakaryocyte and erythrocyte differentiation”, Biotech and Bioeng. 2014 May 22. PMID: 24853077
158. Z Hunter, DP McCarthy, WT Yap, CT Harp, DR Getts, LD Shea, and SD Miller “A biodegradable nanoparticles platform for the induction of antigen-specific immune tolerance for treatment of autoimmune disease”, ACS Nano, Mar 25;8(3):2148-60, 2014. [PMC3990004]
157. A.M. Thomas*, S.K. Seidlits*, A.G. Goodman, T.V. Kukushliev, D.M. Hassani, B.J. Cummings, A.J. Anderson, LD Shea. “Sonic hedgehog and neurotrophin-3 increase oligodendrocyte numbers and myelination after spinal cord injury.” Integrative Biology, Integr. Biol., 6 (7), 694 – 705, 2014.
156. Makanji Y, Tagler D, Pahnke J, LD Shea, and Woodruff TK. “Hypoxia-mediated carbohydrate metabolism and transport promotes early stage murine follicle growth and survival“, 2014 Apr 15;306(8). [PMC3989738].
155. Chen J, Sheu AY, Li W, Zhang Z, Kim DH, Lewandowski RJ, Omary RA, Shea LD, Larson AC. “Poly(lactide-co-glycolide) Microspheres for MRI-Monitored Transcatheter Delivery of Sorafenib to Liver Tumors“, 2014 Jun 28;184:10-7 [PMC4058431].
154. DR Getts, RL Terry, MT Getts, C Deffrasnes, M Muller, C van Vreden, TM Ashhurst, B Chami, D McCarthy, H. Wu, J. Ma, A Martin, B Wu, GS Kansas, J Kuhn, W Hafezi, IL Campbell, LD Shea, D Reilly, J Say, L Brown, MY White, P Witting, SJ Cordwell, SJ Chadban, EB Thorp, S Bao, SD Miller, NJC King, “Therapeutic inflammatory monocyte modulation using immune-modifying microparticles”, Science Translational Medicine, 2014 Jan 15;6(219) [PMC3973033].
153. Gower RM, Boehler RM, Azarin SM, Ricci CF, Leonard JN, Shea LD. “Modulation of leukocyte infiltration and phenotype in microporous tissue engineering scaffolds via vector induced IL-10 expression“, Biomaterials, Feb;35(6):2024-31, 2014. [PMC3932667]
152. Boehler RM, R Kuo, S Shin, AG Goodman AG, MA Pilecki, RM Gower, JN Leonard, LD Shea, “Lentivirus delivery of IL-10 to promote and sustain macrophage polarization towards an anti-inflammatory phenotype”, Biotech Bioeng, Jun;111(6):1210-21, 2014. PMID: 24375008.
151. Hlavaty, KA, RF Gibly, X Zhang, CB Rives, JG Graham, X Luo, WL Lowe, LD Shea, ”Enhancing human islet transplantation by localized release of trophic factors from PLG scaffolds”, Am J Transplantation 14(7):1523-32, 2014. PMID:24909237.
150. Getts DR, Martin AJ, McCarthy DP, Terry RL, Hunter ZN, Yap WT, Getts M, Pleiss M, Luo X, King NJ, Shea LD, and Miller SD, “Microparticles bearing encephalitogenic peptides induce T-cell tolerance and ameliorate experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis”, Nat Biotechnol. 2012 Dec;30(12):1217-24. [PMC: 3589822]. Addendum: Nat Biotechnol. 2013 Jun;31(6):565.
149. Barbolina MV, Liu Y, Gurler H, Kim M, Kajdacsy-Balla AA, Rooper L, Shepard J, Weiss M, LD Shea, Penzes P, Ravosa MJ, Stack MS, Matrix rigidity activates Wnt signaling through down-reuglation of Dickkopf-1 protein. J Biol Chem 288(1):141-51 2013.
148. Waimey KE, Duncan FE, Su HI, Smith K, Wallach H, Jona K, Coutifaris C, Gracia CR, LD Shea, Brannigan RE, Chang RJ, Zelinski MB, Stouffer RL, Taylor RL, Woodruff TK. Future directions in oncofertility and fertility preservation: a report from the 2011 oncofertility consortium conference. J. Adolesc Young Adult Oncol 2(1) 25-30, 2013.
147. Thomas, AM, Kubilius MB, Holland SJ, Seidlits SK, Boehler RM, Anderson AJ, Cummings BJ, and LD Shea, “Channel density and porosity of degradable bridging scaffolds on axon growth after spinal injury”, Biomaterials. 2013 Mar;34(9):2213-20. [PMC 3552139]
146. Tagler, D, Makanji Y, Anderson NR, Woodruff TK and LD Shea, “Supplemented αMEM/F12-based medium enables the survival and growth of primary ovarian follicles encapsulated in alginate hydrogels”, Biotechnol Bioeng. 2013 Jun 25. [PMC 3808526]
145. Thomas, A, and LD Shea, “Polysaccharide-modified scaffolds for controlled lentivirus delivery in vitro and after spinal cord injury”, J Control Release. 2013 Sep 28, 170(3):421-9. [PMC3742643]
144. Boehler, RM, S Shin, AG Fast, RM Gower, and LD Shea “A PLG/HAp composite scaffold for lentivirus delivery”, Biomaterials. 2013 Jul;34(21):5431-8. [PMC 3653272]
143. Seidlits, SK, RM Gower, JA Shepard, and LD Shea, “Hydrogels for lentiviral gene delivery”, Expert Opinion on Drug Delivery. 2013 Apr;10(4):499-509. [PMC 3648640].
142. WT Yap, DM Salvay, MA Silliman, X Zhang, ZG Bannon, DB Kaufman, WL Lowe, Jr. and LD Shea, “Collagen IV-Modified Scaffolds Improve Islet Survival and Function and Reduce Time to Euglycemia”. Tissue Eng Part A. 2013 Nov;19(21-22):2361-72. [PMC3807710].
141. JE Hornick, FE Duncan, LD Shea and TK Woodruff, “Multiple follicle culture supports primary follicle growth through paracrine-acting signals”, Reproduction 145(1):19-32 2013.
140. IR Brito, IMT Lima, M Xu, LD Shea, TK Woodruff, JR Figueiredo, “Three-dimensional systems for in vitro follicular culture: overview of alginate-based matrices“, Reprod Fertil Dev. 2013.
139. A. Siletz, M. Schnabel, E. Kniazeva, AJ Schumacher, S Shin, JS Jeruss, and LD Shea. “Dynamic Transcription Factor Networks in Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition in Breast Cancer Models”, PLoS One. 2013 Apr 8;8(4). [PMC 3620167]
138. HM Tuinstra, AG Goodman, SJ Holland, RM Boehler, ML Zelivyanskaya, DJ Margul, BJ Cummings, AJ Anderson, and LD Shea, “Long-term characterization of axon regeneration and matrix changes using multiple channel bridges for spinal cord regeneration”, Tissue Eng Part A, 2014 Mar;20(5-6):1027-37. [PMC3938917].
137. JG Graham, X Zhang, A Goodman, K Pothoven, J Houlihan, S Wang, RM Gower, X Luo, and LD Shea, “PLG Scaffold Delivered Antigen-Specific Regulatory T cells Induce Systemic Tolerance in Autoimmune Diabetes”, Tissue Eng Part A. 2013 Jun;19(11-12):1465-75. [PMC 3638535].
136. RM Skory, BP Bernabé, E Galdones, LJ Broadbelt, LD Shea and Teresa K Woodruff. “Microarray analysis identifies COMP as the most differentially regulated transcript throughout in vitro follicle growth”, Mol Reproduction and Dev, 2013 Feb;80(2):132-44. [PMC3730266]
135. RW Ahn, SL Barrett, MR Raja, JK. Jozefik, L Spaho, H Chen, MB Bally, AP Mazar, MJ Avram, JN Winter, LI Gordon, LD Shea, TV O’Halloran, and TK Woodruff, “Nano-encapsulation of arsenic trioxide enhances efficacy in a murine lymphoma model while minimizing chemotherapeutic fertotoxicity in vitro and in vivo”, PLoS One. 2013;8(3). [PMC 3603968].
134. P Mutharasan, E Galdones, BP Bernabé, O Garcia, N Jafari, LD Shea, TK Woodruff, RS Legro, A Dunaif, M Urbanek “Evidence for Chromosome 2p16.3 Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Susceptibility Locus in Affected Women of European Ancestry”, Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2013 Jan;98(1):E185-90. [PMC 3537106]
133. Tuinstra, H.M., M. DuCommun, W.E. Briley, and L.D. Shea, “Gene delivery to overcome astrocyte inhibition of axonal growth: an in vitro model of the glial scar”, Biotech & Bioeng. Mar;110(3):947-57, 2013. [PMC4035246]
132. Shepard, JA, FR Virani, AG Goodman, TD Gossett, S. Shin, and L.D. Shea, “Hydrogel macroporosity and the prolongation of transgene expression and the enhancement of angiogenesis.” Biomaterials Oct;33(30):7412-21, 2012. [PMC3418462]
131. Siletz, A., Kniazeva, JS Jeruss, and LD Shea, “Transcription Factor Networks in Invasion-Promoting Breast Carcinoma-Associated Fibroblasts” Cancer Microenvironment Apr;6(1):91-107, 2013. [PMC3601213]
130. Jen, MC, K. Baler, A.R. Hood, S. Shin, L.D. Shea, and G.A. Ameer “Sustained, localized transgene expression mediated from lentivirus-loaded biodegradable polyester elastomers”, J Biomed Mater Res A. 2013 May;101(5):1328-35. [PMC4058645]
129. Bellis, A.D., B.P. Bernabe, M.S. Weiss, S. Shin, S. Weng, L.J. Broadbelt, and L.D. Shea, “Dynamic Transcription Factor Activity Profiling in 2D and 3D Cell Cultures”, Biotechnol Bioeng. 2013 Feb;110(2):563-72. [PMC4073638].
128. Duncan, F.E., J.E. Hornick, M.A. Lampson, R.M. Schultz, L.D. Shea, and T.K. Woodruff, “Chromosome cohesion decreases in human eggs with advanced maternal age”, Aging Cell 11(6):1121-4. 2012. [PMC3491123]
127. Hornick, J.E., F.E. Duncan, L.D. Shea, and T.K. Woodruff, “Isolated primate primordial follicles require a rigid physical environment to survive and grow in vitro.” Hum Reprod. Jun;27(6):1801-10 2012. [PMC3357191]
126. Weiss, M.S. B.P. Bernabé, A. Shikanov, D.A. Bluver, M. D. Mui S. Shin, L.J. Broadbelt, and L.D. Shea, “The impact of adhesion peptides within hydrogels on the phenotype and signaling of normal and cancerous mammary epithelial cells” Biomaterials, May;33(13):3548-59, 2012. [PMC3288720]
125. Parrish, E.M., A. Siletz, M. Xu, TK Woodruff, and L.D. Shea, “Gene expression in mouse ovarian follicle development in vivo versus an ex vivo alginate culture system” Reproduction, Aug;142(2):309-318, 2011 [PMC3145246]
124. Tuinstra, H., M.O. Aviles, S. Shin, S.J. Holland, M.L. Zelivyanskaya, A. Fast, S. Ko, D.J. Margul, A.K. Bartels, R.M. Boehler, B.J. Cummings, A.J. Anderson, and L.D. Shea, “Multifunctional, multichannel bridges that deliver neurotrophin encoding lentivirus for regeneration following spinal cord injury”, Biomaterials. 1618-26, 2012. [PMC3237872]
123. Gibly, R.F., X. Zhang, W.L. Lowe Jr, and L.D. Shea, “Porous scaffolds support extrahepatic human islet transplantation, engraftment, and function in mice. Cell Transplant. 2013;22(5):811-9. [PMC 3701739].
122. Kidd ME, Shin S, and LD Shea. “Fibrin hydrogels for lentiviral gene delivery in vitro and in vivo”. J Control Release. 2012 Jan 10;157(1):80-5. [PMC3240728].
121. Boehler RM, Graham JG, LD Shea. “Tissue engineering tools for modulation of the immune response”. Biotechniques. Oct;51(4):239-40, 242, 244. 2011 [PMC 3526814].
120. Gibly, R.F., X. Zhang, M.K, Graham, B.J. Hering, D.B. Kaufman, W.L. Lowe, and L.D. Shea, “Extrahepatic islet transplantation with microporous polymer scaffolds in syngeneic mouse and allogeneic porcine models”, Biomaterials, Dec;32(36):9677-84, 2011. [PMC3195897]
119. Gower, R.M. and L.D. Shea “Biomaterial Scaffolds for Controlled, Localized Gene Delivery of Regenerative Factors” Advances Wound Care, 2013 Apr;2(3):100-106. Review. PubMed PMID: 24527333; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3623578.
118. Shin, S., M. Kidd, and L.D. Shea, “Fibrin hydrogels for lentiviral gene delivery in vitro and in vivo”, J Cont Rel. 10;157(1):80-5, 2012. [PMC3240728]
117. Tagler, D., T. Tu, R.M. Smith, N.R. Anderson, C.M. Tingen, T.K. Woodruff, L.D. Shea, “Embryonic fibroblasts enable the culture of primary ovarian follicles within alginate hydrogels”, Tissue Engineering, 18(11-12): 1229-38, 2012. [PMC3360509]
116. Shepard, J.A., A.C. Stevans, S Holland, C.E. Wang, A. Shikanov, and L.D. Shea, “Hydrogel design for supporting neurite outgrowth and promoting gene delivery to maximize neurite extension”, Biotech Bioeng, 109(3):830-9, 2012. [PMC3261518].
115. Shikanov, A., Z. Zhang, R. Smith, A. Rajan, T.K. Woodruff, and L.D. Shea “Fibrin encapsulation and VEGF delivery promotes ovarian graft survival in mice” Tissue Engineering Part A Dec;17(23-24):3095-104. 2011 [PMC3226061].
114. Gibly, R.F., J.G. Graham, X. Luo, W.L. Lowe, B.J. Hering, and L.D. Shea “Advancing islet transplantation: from engraftment to the immune response”, Diabetologia, Oct;54(10):2494-505, 2011 [PMC3193607].
113. Jang, J.H., D.V. Schaffer, and L.D. Shea “Engineering biomaterial systems to enhance viral vector gene delivery“ Mol Therapy, Aug;19(8):1407-15, 2011. [PMC3149164].
112. Hirshfeld-Cytron JE, Duncan FE, Xu M, Jozefik JK, Shea LD, Woodruff TK. Animal age, weight and estrus cycle stage impact the quality of in vitro grown follicles. Hum Reprod. 2011 Sep;26(9):2473-85. doi: 10.1093/humrep/der183. Epub 2011 Jun 13. PubMed PMID: 21669966; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3157625.
111. Shikanov, A., M. Xu, TK Woodruff, and L.D. Shea, “A method for ovarian follicle encapsulation and culture in a proteolytically degradable 3 dimensional system.“ JoVE, Mar 15;(49). pii: 2695. doi: 10.3791/2695. 2011. [PMC 3197327].
110. Tingen, C.M., SE. Kiesewetter, J. Jozefic, C. Thomas, D. Tagler, L.D. Shea, and T.K. Woodruff, “A macrophage and theca cell enriched stromal cell population influences growth and survival of immature murine follicles in vitro” Reproduction, Jun;141(6):809-20 2011. [PMID 21389078]
109. Kheradmand, T., S. Wang, R. Gibly, X. Zhang, S. Holland, J. Tasch, D. Kaufman, S. Miller, L.D. Shea, and X. Luo, “Permanent Protection of PLG Scaffold Transplanted Allogeneic Islet Grafts in Diabetic Mice Treated with ECDI-fixed Donor Splenocyte Infusions” Biomaterials, July;32(20):4517-24, 2011. [PMC 3387923]
108. Shepard, J.A., P.J. Wesson, C.E. Wang, A.C. Stevans, S. Holland, A. Shikanov, and L.D. Shea, “Gene therapy vectors with enhanced transfection based on hydrogels modified with affinity peptides”, Biomaterials, Aug;32(22):5092-9, 2011. [PMC3100417]
107. Barbolina, M.V., Y. Liu, H. Gurler, M. Kim, A.A. Kajdacsy-Balla, L. Rooper, J. Shepard, M. Weiss, L.D. Shea, P. Penzes, MJ Ravosa, M.S. Stack, “Matrix rigidity activates Wnt signaling through downregulation of dickkopf-1 protein”, J Biol Chem. 2012 [PMC3062036]
106. Xu, M., A. Fazlebas, A. Shikanov, E. Jackson, SL Barrett, J Hirshefeld-Cytron, SE Kiesewetter, LD Shea, and TK Woodruff, “In vitro oocyte maturation and preantral follicle culture from luteal phase baboon ovary produce mature eggs” Biol Reprod. Apr;84(4):689-97 2011, [PMC3062036]
105. Aviles, M, L.D. Shea, “Hydrogels to modulate lentivirus delivery in vivo from microporous tissue engineering scaffolds”, Drug Del Translational Res., 1:91-101, 2011. [PMC3249836]
104. Smith RM, Woodruff TK, Shea LD., “Designing follicle-environment interactions with biomaterials.” Cancer Treat Res. 2010;156:11-24. [PMC3071535]
103. Shikanov, A., R. Smith, M. Xu, TK Woodruff, and L.D. Shea “Hydrogel network design using multifunctional macromers to coordinate tissue maturation in ovarian follicle culture”, Biomaterials, Apr;32(10):2524-31, 2011.[PMC3040241].
102. Silber SJ, Woodruff TK, Shea LD. “To Transplant or not to Transplant”, Cancer Treat Res. 2010;156:41-54. [PMC3086495].
101. Woodruff, T.K. and L.D. Shea, “A new hypothesis regarding ovarian follicle development: ovarian rigidity as a regulator of selection and health”, J Assist Reprod Genet. 2010. [PMC3045494].
100. Weiss, MS, B.P. Bernabé, L.J. Broadbelt, J.S. Jeruss, and L.D. Shea “Dynamic, large-scale profiling of transcription factor activity from live cells in 3D culture”, PLoS One, Nov 17;5(11) 2010. [PMC2984444]
99. Bellis, A. B.P. Bernabé, M.S. Weiss, M.E. Yarrington, M.V. Barbolina, A.K. Pannier, J.S. Jeruss, L.J. Broadbelt, and L.D. Shea, “Cellular Arrays for Large-scale Analysis of Transcription Factor Activity”, Biotech and Bioeng, Feb;108(2):395-403, 2011. [PMC3022829]
98. Barbolina, M. Kim M, Liu Y, Shepard J, Belmadani A, Miller RJ, Shea LD, Stack MS, “Microenvironmental regulation of chemokine (C-X-C-motif) receptor 4 in ovarian carcinoma”, Mol Cancer Res. May;8(5):653-64 2010. [PMC2883461]
97. Barrett S, Shea LD, Woodruff TK. “Noninvasive Index of Cryorecovery and Growth Potential for Human Follicles In Vitro.” Biol of Reprod, Jun;82(6):1180-9, 2010. [PMC2874500]
96. Jin S, Lei L, Shea LD, Zelinski MB, Stouffer RL, Woodruff TK. “Markers of growth and development in primate primordial follicles are preserved after slow cryopreservation”. Fertil Steril. May 15;93(8):2627-32. [PMC2873131].
95. Shin S, Tuinstra HM, Salvay DM, Shea LD. Phosphatidylserine immobilization of lentivirus for localized gene transfer. Biomaterials. 2010 May;31(15):4353-9. doi: 10.1016/j.biomaterials. 2010.02.013. Epub 2010 Mar 4. PubMed PMID: 20206382; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2845527.
94. Salvay, D., M. Zelivyanskaya, L.D. Shea “Gene delivery by surface immobilization of plasmid to tissue engineering scaffolds” Gene Therapy, Sep;17(9):1134-41, 2010. [PMC2927809]
93. Shepard JA, Huang A, Shikanov A, Shea LD. Balancing cell migration with matrix degradation enhances gene delivery to cells cultured three-dimensionally within hydrogels. J Control Release. 2010 Aug 17;146(1):128-35. doi: 10.1016/j.jconrel.2010.04.032. Epub 2010 May 5. PubMed PMID: 20450944; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2914156.
92. Smitz J, Dolmans MM, Donnez J, Fortune JE, Hovatta O, Jewgenow K, Picton HM, Plancha C, Shea LD, Stouffer RL, Telfer EE, Woodruff TK, Zelinski MB. Current achievements and future research directions in ovarian tissue culture, in vitro follicle development and transplantation: implications for fertility preservation. Hum Reprod Update. 2010 Jul-Aug;16(4):395-414. doi: 10.1093/humupd/dmp056. Epub 2010 Feb 1. Review. PubMed PMID: 20124287; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2880913.
91. De Laporte, L. A. des Rieux, M.L. Zelivyanskaya, N.M. De Clerck, A.A. Postnov, and L.D. Shea, “VEGF and FGF-2 delivery from spinal cord bridges to enhance angiogenesis following injury”, JBMR, Sep 1;98(3):372-82, 2011. [PMC3190227]
90. De Laporte, L., A. Huang, M.M. Ducommon, A.F. Adler, M. Aviles, M. a Zelivyanska, and L.D. Shea, “Patterned transgene expression in multiple channel bridges after spinal cord injury”, Acta Biomaterialia, Aug;6(8):2889-97, 2010. [PMC2883021]
89. Aviles, M.O. C.H. Lin, M. Zelivyanskaya, J.G. Graham, R. Boehler, P.B. Messersmith, L.D. Shea, “The contribution of plasmid design and release to in vivo gene expression following delivery from cationic polymer modified scaffolds”, Biomaterials, Feb;31(6):1140-7, 2010. [PMC2821673]
88. Shin, S. and L.D. Shea, “Lentivirus immobilization to nanoparticles for enhanced and localized delivery from hydrogels”, Mol Therapy. Apr;18(4):700-6, 2010. [PMC2862523]
87. Rea, J.C., R.F. Gibly, N.E. Davis, A.E. Barron, and L.D. Shea, “Engineering Surfaces for Substrate-Mediated Gene Delivery using Using Recombinant Proteins”, Biomacromolecules 2009 Oct 12;10(10):2779-86. [PMC2765786]
86. Huang GT, Yamaza T, Shea LD, Djouad F, Kuhn NZ, Tuan RS, Shi S, “Stem/progenitor cell-mediated de novo regeneration of dental pulp with newly deposited continuous layer of dentin in an in vivo model” Tissue Eng Part A. Feb;16(2):605-15, 2010. [PMC2813150]
85. Shin, S. D.M. Salvay, and L.D. Shea “Lentivirus delivery by adsorption to tissue engineering scaffolds”, JBMR, Jun 15;93(4):1252-9, 2010. [PMC2906124]
84. Shikanov, A., M. Xu, T.K. Woodruff, and L.D. Shea “Interpenetrating Fibrin-Alginate Matrices for in vitro Ovarian Follicle Development” Biomaterials 2009 Oct;30(29):5476-85. [PMC2906124]
83. Roh J, Bae J, Lee K, Mayo K, Shea L, Woodruff TK. Regulation of Wilms’ tumor gene expression by nerve growth factor and follicle-stimulating hormone in the immature mouse ovary. Fertil Steril. 2009 Apr;91(4 Suppl):1451-4. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2008.07.012. Epub 2008 Sep 6. PubMed PMID: 18774569; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2749456.
82. Yang, Y., L. DeLaporte, M. Zelivyanskaya, B. Cummings, A. Anderson, and L.D. Shea “Multiple channel bridge in the injured spinal cord: Characterization of Host Response”, Tissue Eng 2009 Nov;15(11):3283-95. [PMC2792065]
81. Murthi, M., L.D. Shea, and R.Q. Snurr, “Numerical Problems and Agent-Based Models for a Mass Transfer Course”, Chem Eng Educ, 43(2), Spring 2009.
80. Tingen, C.M. S.K. Bristol-Gould, SE. Kiesewetter, J.T Wellington, L.D. Shea, and T.K. Woodruff, “Pre-pubertal Primordial Follicle Loss is Not Due to Classical Apoptotic Pathways”, Biol Reprod. 2009 Jul;81(1):16-25. [PMC 3093983].
79. Barbolina, M. L.D. Shea, and S. Stack “Downregulation of Connective Tissue Growth Factor by Three-Dimensional Matrix Enhances Ovarian Carcinoma Cell Invasion” Int J Cancer, Aug 15;125(4):816-25, 2009. [PMC2849282]
78. Zhang, X., H. Tang, R. Hoshi, L. De Laporte, H. Qiu, X. Xu, L.D. Shea, and G. Ameer “Sustained transgene expression via citric acid-based polyester elastomers” Biomaterials, 2009 May 30(13):2632-41. PMID 19200593
77. Jin, S., L. Lei, L.D. Shea, and T.K. Woodruff, “A novel two-step strategy for in vitro culture of early-stage ovarian follicles in the mouse”, Fertility and Sterility, May 15;93(8):2633-9, 2010. [PMC2873094].
76. Xu, M., E.R. West, R.L. Stouffer, L.D. Shea, T.K. Woodruff, and M. B. Zelinski, “Encapsulated three-dimensional culture supports development of nonhuman primate secondary follicles”, Biol Reprod. 103(2):378-86 2009. [PMC2731985]
75. Xu, M., S.L. Barrett, E. West-Farrell, L.A. Kondapalli, S.E. Kiesewetter, L.D. Shea, and T.K. Woodruff, “In vitro Grown Human Ovarian Follicles from Cancer Patients Support Healthy Oocyte Growth”, Hum Reprod Epub, Jul 13 2009. [PMC2743446]
74. Houchin-Ray, T, M. Zelivyanskaya, A. Huang, L.D. Shea “Nonviral gene delivery transfection profiles influence length of neurite extension in an in vitro co-culture model“.Biotech and Bioeng. 103(5):1023-33, 2009 [PMC2778227]
73. Xu, M., A. Banc, T.K. Woodruff, and, LD Shea, “Secondary follicle growth and oocyte maturation by culture in alginate hydrogel following cryopreservation of the ovary or individual follicles“ Biotech Bioeng 103(2):378-86 2009. [PMC2778231]
72. des Rieux, A, A. Shikanov, L.D. Shea “Fibrin hydrogels as non-viral vector delivery systems for tissue engineering“, J Cont Rel Jun 5;136(2):148-54, 2009. [PMC2752208]
71. De Laporte L, AL Yan L.D. Shea “Local gene delivery from ECM-coated poly(lactide-co-glycolide) multiple channel bridges after spinal cord injury.” Biomaterials. 2009 Jan 12 [PMC2752148]
70. West-Farrell, E., M. Xu, TK Woodruff, L.D. Shea, “The mouse follicle microenvironment regulates antrum formation and steroid production: alterations in gene expression profiles“ Biol Reprod, Mar;80(3):432-9, 2009. [PMC2764303]
69. Bengali Z, Rea JC, Gibly RF, Shea LD. Efficacy of immobilized polyplexes and lipoplexes for substrate-mediated gene delivery. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2009 Apr 15;102(6):1679-91. doi: 10.1002/bit.22212. PubMed PMID: 19148921; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2911033.
68. De Laporte, L., Y. Yang, M. Zelivyanskaya, B. Cummings A. Anderson, and L.D. Shea “Plasmid releasing multiple channel bridges for transgene expression after spinal cord injury“, Mol Ther 2009 Feb;17(2):318-26. [PMC2835056]
67. West, E., MB Zelinski, LA Kondapalli, C Gracia, J Chang, C. Coutifaris, J Critser, RL Stouffer, LD Shea, TK Woodruff “Preserving female fertility following cancer treatment: current options and future possibilities “ Pediatric Blood and Cancer 53(2):289-95, 2009. [PMC3081672]
66. Rea, J., R. Gibly, A. Barron, and L.D. Shea, “Self-Assembling Peptide-Lipoplexes for Substrate-Mediated Gene Delivery “, Acta Biomaterialia 2009 Mar;5(3):903-12. [PMC2752203]
65. Rives, C., A. des Rieux, M. Zelivyanskaya, S. Stock, W.L. Lowe, and L.D. Shea, “Layered PLG Scaffolds for In Vivo Plasmid Delivery”, Jan;30(3):394-401. 2009. [PMC2642007]
64. Houchin-Ray, T. A. Huang, E. West, M. Zelivyanskaya, L.D. Shea, “Spatially Patterned Gene Expression for Guided Neurite Extension “, J. Neuro. Res. 2009 Mar;87(4):844-56.. [PMC2764322]
63. Barbolina MV, Adley BP, Kelly DL, Fought AJ, Scholtens DM, Shea LD, Stack MS, Motility-related actinin alpha-4 is associated with advanced and metastatic ovarian carcinoma. Lab Invest. Jun;88(6):602-14 2008. [PMC2849305]
62. Rea JC, Barron AE, Shea LD. “Peptide-mediated lipofection is governed by lipoplex physical properties and the density of surface-displayed amines.” J Pharm Sci. Nov;97(11):4794-806 2008. [PMC2648398]
61. Barbolina MV, Adley BP, Shea LD, Stack MS. Wilms tumor gene protein 1 is associated with ovarian cancer metastasis and modulates cell invasion. Cancer. 2008 Apr 1;112(7):1632-41. doi: 10.1002/cncr.23341. PubMed PMID: 18260155.
60. Salvay, D.M., C.B. Rives, X. Zhang, F. Chen, D.B. Kaufman, W.L. Lowe, and L.D. Shea “Extracellular Matrix Proteins Adsorbed To PLG Microporous Scaffolds Promote The Reversal Of Diabetes Following Extrahepatic Islet Transplantation“, Transplantation 85(10):1456-64 2008. [PMC2597660]
59. Pannier, A.K., J. Wieland, and L.D. Shea, “Surface Polyethylene Glycol Enhances Substrate-Mediated Gene Delivery by Nonspecifically- Bound Complexes” Acta Biomaterialia Jan;4(1):26-39 2008. [PMC2170460]
58. Woodruff, T.K. and L.D. Shea “The Role of the Extracellular Matrix in Ovarian Follicle Development”, Reprod Sci. Dec;14(8 Suppl):6-10. 2007. [PMC2648348]
57. Xu M, Woodruff TK, L.D. Shea. “Bioengineering and the ovarian follicle”, Cancer Treat Res.; 138:75-82, 2007.
56. Weiss, M.S., J.S. Jeruss, and L.D. Shea, “Tunable Microenvironments for Three-Dimensional Culture in Cancer Research”, The Journal of the Roert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center, XI(2), 26-31, 2007.
55. West, E., M. Xu, T.K. Woodruff, and L.D. Shea, “Physical properties of alginate hydrogels and their effects on in vitro follicle development”, Biomaterials, 28(30) 4439-48, 2007. [PMC2034204]
54. West, E.R., Shea, L.D., and Woodruff, TK. Engineering the follicle microenvironment. Semin Reprod Med. 25(4):287-99, 2007. [PMC2648402]
53. Bengali, Z. J.C. Rea, and L.D. Shea “Gene Expression and internalization following vector immobilization to proteins: dependence on protein identity and density” J Gene Med 9(8) 668-78. 2007 [PMC2659664]
52. Pannier, A.K., E. Ariazi, A.D. Bellis, Z. Bengali, V.C. Jordan, and L.D. Shea “Bioluminescence Imaging for Assessment and Normalization in Transfected Cell Arrays”, Biotech and Bioeng. 98(2) 486-97 2007. [PMC2648395]
51. De Laporte, L., and L.D. Shea “Matrices and Scaffolds for DNA Delivery in Tissue Engineering”, Adv. Drug Del. Reviews 59(4-5):292-307 2007 [PMC1949490]
50. Shea, L.D., “Back to the science of stem cell research – CHI’s 2nd annual meeting”, iDrugs 9(10) 699-701 2006. [PMC2648404]
49. Houchin-Ray, T.L., L. Swift, J.H. Jang, and L.D. Shea, “Patterned PLG substrates for localized DNA delivery and directed neurite extension“, Biomat. 28(16): 2603-11 2007. [PMC1876731]
48. T.F. Lerch, M. Xu, T. S. Jardetzky, K.E. Mayo, I. Radhakrishnan, R. Kazer, L.D. Shea, and T.K. Woodruff “At the Cutting Edge: The Structures that Underlie Normal Reproductive Function” Mol Cell Endo. 267(1-2):1-5 2007 [PMC1919436]
47. Wieland, J., T.L. Houchin-Ray, and L.D. Shea, “Non-viral vector delivery from PEG-hyaluronic acid hydrogels“, J Cont Rel., 120(3):233-41 2007. [PMC2648399]
46. Houchin-Ray, T.L., K.J. Whittlesey, and L.D. Shea, “Spatially Patterned Gene Delivery for Directed Neurite Outgrowth“, Mol. Ther. 15(4) 705-712, 2007. [PMC2648834]
45. Cheema, S.K., E. Chen, L.D. Shea, A.B. Mathur, “Regulation and Guidance of Cell Behavior for Tissue Regeneration via the siRNA Mechanism”, Wound Repair Regen 15(3) p. 286-95 2007. [PMID: 17537114]
44. Xu, M., E. West, L.D. Shea, and T.K. Woodruff “Identification of a Stage-Specific Permissive in vitro Culture Environment For Follicle Growth and Oocyte Development”, Biol Reprod. 75(6) 916-23, 2006.
43. Berkholtz, C.B., L.D. Shea, and T.K. Woodruff, “Extracellular matrix functions in follicle maturation”, Semin Reprod Med. 24(4) 262-9, 2006.
42. Berkholtz, C.B., B.E. Lai, T.K,Woodruff, L.D. Shea, “Distribution of extracellular matrix proteins type I collagen, type IV collagen, fibronectin, and laminin in mouse folliculogenesis.” Histochem Cell Biol. 126(5) 583-92, 2006
41. Bristol-Gould, S.K., P.K. Kreeger, C.G. Selkirk, S.M. Kilen, R.W. Cook, J.L. Kipp, L.D. Shea, K.E. Mayo and T.K. Woodruff “Postnatal regulation of germ cells by activin: The establishment of the initial follicle pool” Dev. Biol. 298 (1) 132-148, 2006
40. Bristol-Gould, S.K., P.K. Kreeger, C.G. Selkirk, S.M. Kilen, K.E. Mayo, L.D. Shea and T.K. Woodruff, “Fate of the initial follicle pool: Empirical and mathematical evidence supporting its sufficiency for adult fertility” Dev. Biol. 298(1) 149-154, 2006
39. Xu, M., P.K. Kreeger, L.D. Shea, and T.K. Woodruff, “Tissue Engineered Follicles Produce Live, Fertile Offspring“, Tissue Eng 12(10): 2739-2746, 2006.
38. Nieman CL, R Kazer, RE Brannigan, LS Zoloth, PL Chase-Lansdale, K, Kinahan, KJ Dilley, D. Roberts, LD Shea, TK Woodruff. “Cancer survivors and infertility: a review of a new problem and novel answers” J Support Oncol. Apr;4(4):171-8, 2006
37. Jang, J.H., L.D. Shea, “Intramuscular delivery of DNA releasing microspheres: microsphere properties and transgene expression” J Control Release. 112(1):120-8. 2006.
36. H. Blomeier, X. Zhang, C. Rives, E. Hughes, M Baker, M. Brissova, A.C. Powers, D.B. Kaufman, L.D. Shea, W.L. Lowe, Jr.,” Polymer Scaffolds as Synthetic Microenvironments for Extrahepatic Islet Transplantation”, Transplantation 82(4) 452-9 2006.
35. Salvay, D., and L.D. Shea, “Inductive tissue engineering by protein and DNA releasing scaffolds”, Mol Biosyst 2(1) 36-48 2006.
34. Jang, J.H., T. Houchin, Z. Bengali, and L.D. Shea. “Surface adsorption of DNA to tissue engineering scaffolds for efficient gene delivery” J Biomed Mater Res A. 77(1):50-8 2006.
33. De Laporte, L., J. Cruz-Rea, L.D. Shea “Modular non-viral vectors for gene delivery”, Biomaterials 27:947-954, 2006.
32. Kreeger PK, Deck JW, Woodruff TK, Shea LD. The in vitro regulation of ovarian follicle development using alginate-extracellular matrix gels. Biomaterials. 2006 Feb;27(5):714-23. Epub 2005 Aug 1. PubMed PMID: 16076485; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2648392.
31. Whittlesey, K.J., and L.D. Shea, Neurotrophic factor expression by degradable scaffold-mediated lipofection” Biomaterials 27 (11): 2477-86 2006.
30. Pannier, A.K. BC. Anderson, and L.D. Shea “Substrate-Mediated Delivery from Self-Assembled Monolayers: Effect of Surface Ionization, Hydrophilicity, and Patterning”, Acta Biomat. 1(5), 511-522, 2005.
29. Jang, J., C. Rives, and L.D. Shea, “Plasmid Delivery in Vivo from Porous Tissue-Engineering Scaffolds: Transgene Expression and Cellular Transfection”, Mol Ther, 12(3) 475-483, 2005.
28. Bengali, Z., and L.D. Shea, “Gene Delivery by Immobilization to Cell-Adhesive Substrates”, MRS Bulletin 30(9): 659-662, 2005.
27. Kreeger, P.K. N.N. Fernandes, T. K. Woodruff, and L.D. Shea, “Regulation of Murine Follicle Development by Follicle Stimulating Hormone in a Three-Dimensional In Vitro Culture System is Dependent on Follicle Stage and Dose” Biol. Reprod 73(5):942-50, 2005.
26. Yang, Y., L. De Laporte, C. Rives, J.H. Jang, K. Shull, and L.D. Shea, “Neurotrophin releasing single and multiple lumen nerve conduits”, J. Cont. Rel. 104(3):433-46, 2005.
25. Bengali, Z., A. Pannier, T. Segura, B.A. Anderson, J.H. Jang, T. Mustoe, and L.D. Shea “Gene delivery through cell culture substrate adsorbed DNA complexes “ Biotechnol. Bioeng. 90 (3): 290-302, 2005.
24. Segura, T., P. Chung, and L.D. Shea “DNA Delivery from Hyaluronic Acid-Collagen Hydrogels via a substrate-mediated approach”, Biomaterials 26:1575-1584, 2005.
23. Segura, T., P. Chung, R.E. Webber, K.R. Shull, and L.D. Shea “Crosslinked hyaluronic acid hydrogels: a strategy to functionalize and pattern”, Biomaterials 26(4): 359-371 2005.
22. Jang, J.H., T.L. Houchin, and L.D. Shea “Gene delivery from polymer scaffolds for tissue engineering”, Exp. Rev. Med. Dev., 1(1): 127-138, 2004
21. Pannier, A.K. and L.D. Shea, “Controlled release systems for non-viral vectors”, The Journal of the Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University, Vol IX, p. 35-39, 2004
20. Whittlesey, K.J., and L.D. Shea, “Delivery Strategies for Drugs, Proteins, and DNA: The Neuroscience/Biomaterial Interface”, Expt Neurol 190(1):1-16, 2004.
19. Shea, L.D., and T.L. Houchin, “Modular design of non-viral vectors with bioactive components”, Trends in Biotech, 22(9):429-431, 2004.
18. Pannier, A.K. and L.D. Shea “Controlled release systems for DNA delivery”, Molecular Therapy 10(1): 19-26, 2004.
17. Segura, T., M. Volk, and L.D. Shea “Substrate-Mediated DNA Delivery: Role of the Cationic Polymer Structure and Extent of Modification”, J Cont Rel, 93(1): 69-84, 2003.
16. Kreeger, P., T.K. Woodruff, and L.D. Shea, “Murine granulose cells morphology and function are regulated by a synthetic RGD matrix”, Mol. and Cell. Endocrin. 205(1-2):1-10, 2003.
15. Pangas, S.A., H. Saudye, L.D. Shea, and T. K. Woodruff, ” A Novel Approach for the Three Dimensional Culture of Granulosa Cell-Oocyte Complexes”, Tissue Eng 9(5), 1013-1021 2003.
14. Jang, J., and L.D. Shea, “Controllable delivery of non-viral DNA from porous scaffolds”, J. Cont. Rel. 86: 157-168, 2003.
13. Segura, T. and L.D. Shea. “Surface-Tethered DNA Complexes for Enhanced Gene Delivery” Bioconj. Chem.13:621-29, 2002.
12. Nof, M., and L.D. Shea, “Drug-releasing scaffolds fabricated from drug-loaded microspheres”, J. Biomed. Mat. Res. 59(2):349-357, 2002.
11. Shea LD, Mooney DJ. Nonviral DNA delivery from polymeric systems. Methods Mol Med. 2001;65:195-207. doi: 10.1385/1-59259-139-6:195. PubMed PMID: 21318756.
10. Shea, L.D., R.R. Neubig, and J.J. Linderman, “Timing is everything: the role of kinetics in G-protein activation” Life Sciences. 68:647-658, 2000
9. Shea, L.D., D. Wong, R.T. Franceschi, and D.J. Mooney, “Engineered bone development from a pre-osteoblast cell line on three-dimensional scaffolds”, Tissue Engineering 6(6):605-618, 2000.
8. Eiselt, P., J. Yeh, R.K. Latvala, L.D. Shea, and D.J. Mooney. ” Porous carriers for biomedical applications based on alginate hydrogels.” Biomaterials 21(19):1921-27, 2000.
7. Sheridan, M, L.D. Shea, M.C. Peters and D.J. Mooney, “Bioabsorbable Polymer Scaffolds for Tissue Engineering Capable of Sustained Growth Factor Delivery”, J. Cont. Rel., 64 (1-3) 91-102, 2000.
6. M.C. Peters, L.D. Shea, and D.J. Mooney. “Protein and plasmid DNA delivery from tissue engineering matrices.” ACS Polymer preprints 40: 273-274, 1999.
5. Shea, L.D., B. Smiley, J. Bonadio, and D.J. Mooney, “DNA delivery from polymer matrices for tissue engineering”, Nature Biotechnology, 17(6) 551-554, 1999.
4. Shea, L.D. and J.J. Linderman, “Effects of Compartmentalization on Plasma Membrane Reaction Rates and Enzyme Activation for a Collision Coupling”, J. Theor. Biol., 191, 249-258, 1998.
3. Shea, L.D., G. M. Omann, and J.J. Linderman, “Calculation of Diffusion-Limited Kinetics for the Reactions in Collision Coupling and Receptor Crosslinking”,Biophysical J., 73, 2949-2959, 1997.
2. Shea, L.D. and J.J. Linderman, “Mechanistic Model of G-Protein Signal Transduction: Determinants of Efficacy and Effect of Precoupled Receptors”, Biochem. Pharm.. 53, 519-530, 1997.
1. Shea, L.D., D.L. Feke, and U. Landau, “Counteracting Flow Electrophoresis: A Technique for Separating Biochemicals or Charged Macromolecules”, Biotechnol. Prog., 10, 246-252, 1994.